About Me

My photo
Married twenty-five years to my wonderful husband and best friend. We have 3 "home-grown" kids and 1 hand-picked by God from Africa. Our life is blessed. We are a close knit family with strong Christian beliefs. Come along with us on our journey…you might have a great laugh or two.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

20 years...

The first time I saw him was in a Sunday school class at church.  I remember his hands.  They were so incredibly tan.  His hair was bleached by the sun and I would come to find out later that it was from working long hours helping his uncle on his farm during the summer.  I knew nothing about him, except that he was incredibly handsome and I had trouble looking him in the eye.  Shy, embarrass, I don't really know.  But something about him was different. 

I had a Bible study at my house a few weeks after that and he attended.  He was quiet but confident in his manner.  Quite the opposite of me, I remember thinking.  But it didn't take me long to want to know more about him. 

When he called me the first time, we hit it off right away.  We talked for well over an hour and when we hung up the phone I have to admit that I was very disappointed when he didn't ask me out.  I thought maybe I had blown it or talked to much.  But the next night, he called again and my heart leaped higher than ever.  I must be crazy.  I barely know this person, but yet I am incredibly drawn to him.  Like an invisible pull from somewhere deep inside.  I just had to get to know him.  I never thought I believed in love at first sight...but maybe there is something to that...maybe. 

Our first date was to a place called "The Whistle Stop".  A small corner diner next to, of course, the train tracks.  The food was delicious and I remember sitting across from him thinking...oh boy, I'm getting way over my head on this one.  He was probably saying..."oh please, chic, just let me get a word in edge-wise".  I have a tendency to talk A LOT when I get nervous.  As you can imagine, the words were flowing that evening incessantly. 

Throughout the summer we continued to date, and by the end, I was scared...I knew I had found the man that God wanted me to marry.  Crazy, I know.  We didn't even attend college in the same state for that matter.  But sometimes God has a plan that is so much bigger than you can ever imagine. 

I grew up in Tennessee.  He grew up in Kentucky.  It was only by God's divine will that my father got a new job in the small town where he grew up.  My father always told me that he believed that God brought us to that town so I could meet my husband.  Because after a short time there my father was transferred to another job in a different state.  Sometimes God has a bigger plan.

After six months, we were engaged.  Six months after that, we were married on August 1st.  I like to tell my kids that God has designed that one special person just for you somewhere in this world.  Someone that will forever make your heart flutter.  Someone that will make you laugh at your stupid mistakes and then be with you when you make great comebacks.  Someone that will hold your hand through the hardest times of your life.  Someone that you cannot imagine your life without.  Someone...hand picked by God just for you.

I have had the privilege of being married for 20 years to my "someone".  And I hope and pray that God will give me another 20 or more years to come with him.  Thanks for being there with me, sweetie through these past 20 years....I will love you forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment