About Me

My photo
Married twenty-five years to my wonderful husband and best friend. We have 3 "home-grown" kids and 1 hand-picked by God from Africa. Our life is blessed. We are a close knit family with strong Christian beliefs. Come along with us on our journey…you might have a great laugh or two.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Recipes I can't live without...homemade yogurt

Since our little "experiment" to go all natural, less processed and organic began in our household a month or so ago...well, there are a few things that I have been cooking like crazy.

One is my homemade yogurt. The funny thing is that we didn't even eat that much yogurt before all of this. For one reason, is that it is very expensive to buy those tiny little sugary things. Then, you could never find a flavor that everyone liked and believe me, no one would touch the unflavored kind. Then I started making my own. Man, my family just gobbles this stuff up. So, I'm going to share my recipe with you...okay, technically it's not my recipe but it's the one I use and it's perfect. To keep things on the crazy side of life....I even make the stuff in a crock pot.

So here goes....You will need 1 half gallon of organic whole milk (I've used 1% as well, because that's all I had in the house and it worked just fine), 1 cup of plain yogurt and 1 packet of unflavored gelatin.

Step 1: In a crock pot, pour in 1/2 gallon of whole milk and 1 packet of unflavored gelatin. Whisk together, cover and set on low. After 2.5 hours, shut it off. With the lid on, let the warm milk set for 3 more hours.

Step 2: After 3 hours, whisk one container (or one cup) of plain yogurt into the heated milk.

Step 3: Cover the crock pot with a blanket or a couple of towels and allow to sit overnight or at least 8 - 10 hours. When you check the mixture at the end, it should be thickened.

Step 4: Stir the yogurt and refrigerate.

That's it! My family loves this stuff. Now, I should mention that this is obviously plain yogurt, so we add a small amount of sugar to our individual bowls when we add in the fruit and granola. The yogurt doesn't do well if you add the sugar or fruit at the beginning of the process. (also, make sure that you keep 1 cup of the yogurt from your previous batch so you can make it again...one less thing to buy)

Next, I'll give you my recipe for homemade granola...another recipe you're going to love!

No comments:

Post a Comment