About Me

My photo
Married twenty-five years to my wonderful husband and best friend. We have 3 "home-grown" kids and 1 hand-picked by God from Africa. Our life is blessed. We are a close knit family with strong Christian beliefs. Come along with us on our journey…you might have a great laugh or two.

Friday, November 2, 2012

All things homemade...

This past week I got a notice in the mail from Costco regarding a recall on their natural peanut butter they sell.  Ugh...another recall.  This one had to deal with the possibility of salmonella in the peanut butter.  My kids wondered how eggs got into the ingredients in the first place, seeing that only peanuts are in peanut butter.  Of course, I tried to explained to them that many factories make different items, but to be honest I didn't really know the answer.  It seemed a bit odd to me as well.

"Eww...think about what else could be in your food", my little girl said.  I closed my eyes and tried not to think about it.  But I couldn't. 

Why do I buy prepackaged peanut butter?  Hmm, convenience...maybe?  But seriously, how hard is it to make peanut butter.  It's nuts, right?   Homemade.  That's the way to go.  I could totally make this stuff.  So I decided that I would have some fun with this.  Make it like a game for me.  Just how many things could I make homemade. 

So here goes.  I'm putting a running list on the side bar of my blog that has all the things I've made homemade that otherwise I would have bought prepackaged.  I'm going to call it "all things homemade".  If possible I'll include the link to my favorite recipe (believe me, I probably did not create it without a recipe.  I'm a recipe girl) and we'll just see how far this goes.  So the more I cook (and remember what I've cooked in the past) I'll add it to my list.

Since I already make a boatload of things homemade, I've got a good start on this list.  I'd love take out the last of the processed foods we eat from our diet.  It may take some time.  I've got some "stubborn" ones who still very much like white bread....I'll have to work on that one.  Of course, I'll have to take diet coke out of my own diet (for now though it makes me happy...and "ain't nobody happy if momma ain't happy".  But I promise I'll try and work on it- maybe tomorrow). 

So let's start going back to the basics.  Get out those aprons and let's get cooking...

No comments:

Post a Comment