About Me

My photo
Married twenty-five years to my wonderful husband and best friend. We have 3 "home-grown" kids and 1 hand-picked by God from Africa. Our life is blessed. We are a close knit family with strong Christian beliefs. Come along with us on our journey…you might have a great laugh or two.

Sunday, April 19, 2015

A moment….

Coming in August I will get….for the first time in seventeen years...a moment.  All. To. Myself.

Say what???

Oh yes.  Alone.  To be without.  To not have to answer a bazillion questions in one hour.  To finally get to breathe let alone think clearly for more than five minutes.  To get to accomplish something you put your mind to….without interruptions….quite possibly in one day.  I know, it's shocking.  Do you know what I'm talking about?

My children, the last two….the smallest ones, are going back to public school.  My oldest has been going to public high school now for three years and my oldest daughter does her high school online so I am not needed in that aspect.  But the last two, we made the tough choice to stop homeschooling and send them back to school this August.  

Why?

Most people go the other way.  They leave public school and then homeschool.  Not the other way around.  It was a tough choice for us.  But the truth of the matter is that it's time.  Time for them to go back.  With being on a farm now and out in the country, they need to get to know some children their own age.  What better way to do this, than to go to a small farm school.  The kids there are all coming from the surrounding areas and probably most have some type of farm, albeit big or small.  

I have never taught high school, thus the reason the older children went back to school.  I have felt like there are certainly more qualified teachers in this world in those areas than I am.  I believe I would be doing them a disservice if I didn't give them a chance to succeed in high school.  Heaven help them if I had to teach them Trigonometry.  

So, this last week we turned in the last of the paperwork to send them to school.  It's official.  Next year, I'm handing over the baton of teaching.  I. Am. Done.  

Am I happy about it?  Well….in some ways, yes.  Others…it's an ending to a very long chapter (I've been homeschooling for 12 years).  So it's bittersweet.  I am no longer needed.  And that makes me sad.

But then I remember, I get a moment….all to myself.  Alone.  Consistently.

I could actually have a job that I finally get paid for.  Oh and doesn't have a name tag that says Mom covered in peanut butter and jelly.  Something on the farm, maybe.  Maybe I'll raise something to sell.  Maybe I'll market the orchard.  Oooo, the possibilities are endless.  Hmmm….finally getting paid for working.

Now that, my friends, is a brilliant idea.


No comments:

Post a Comment