About Me

My photo
Married twenty-five years to my wonderful husband and best friend. We have 3 "home-grown" kids and 1 hand-picked by God from Africa. Our life is blessed. We are a close knit family with strong Christian beliefs. Come along with us on our journey…you might have a great laugh or two.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Reasons and excuses...

It's very late as I post this blog, so please forgive me...but this is something that has been upon my heart. Many thanks to my friend for the inspiration for this post...

It's only been just a short amount of time since we've been home with our new little one and I cannot tell you the number of people who have asked us about our adoption. Then it's seems to be always followed by...I wish I could do that...or I just don't think I could afford it...or I'm not sure we could make it work...or I'd be scared to start again. There are all sorts of reasons not to do things...but be careful...those could very well be excuses.

Did you know that it is estimated that about 30% of Americans consider adoption at some point while only about 3% actually do it? So there are 27% of people out there who have maybe had this laid on their heart, then either brush it off or watch that dream float away as the years pass...then they look back and think, "Man, that was something I really wanted to do."

So...are these "reasons" or just "excuses"?...

Can't afford it
What will we drive?
Our house is too small
What if there is some scary unknown disease that this child brings home?
How is this going to affect our bio kids?
They will resent us!
People will think we are crazy
All this paperwork for a baby? Let's just get pregnant!
Where do you even start?
What if the plane crashes when we travel...we leave our three kids as orphans for crying out loud!
Is this really God's will for us?
How am I going to do that hair?
This is most definitely not the right time.
How are we going to pay for this?
It costs what? Where are we going to find the money for that?
All the kids are potty-trained. I deserve a break.

BUT...have you really thought about it? In reality, it's not really about US at all. It's not about ME. Much as we'd like to think, and much as our heart breaks, it's not even about the kids. It's about HIM. About the One who wants us to follow His lead. He wants to be the answer to every question. He is the answer.

I read a quote from a blog that said "We limit God with our excuses. We limit God with our fears. By doing this, we are actually robbing ourselves of the blessings, robbing ourselves of the true joy, robbing ourselves of truly living." Are we robbing God with our "excuses"?

Please, please, please know that I fully realize that adoption is not for everyone. I would never try to push it on anyone. But for those who have considered it, even felt called to it, but maybe looked at that list and said, NOPE, NOT FOR ME, please, let God soften your heart. God can overcome so many of those barriers...those "excuses". It will open up a world of blessings that you would've never imagined.

TRUST HIM...and your life will never be the same.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so immensely proud of you and oh how I love my beautiful new grandson. Thank you!

    Love and miss you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete