About Me

My photo
Married twenty-five years to my wonderful husband and best friend. We have 3 "home-grown" kids and 1 hand-picked by God from Africa. Our life is blessed. We are a close knit family with strong Christian beliefs. Come along with us on our journey…you might have a great laugh or two.

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Testing days...

Today and tomorrow are my two oldest children's testing days. In the state in which we live (it's different in every state), if you want to home school your children then you are required by law to have your kids either: be followed by a licensed teacher, keep a portfolio all year long of all their work or have your kids take a standardize test (the same tests that the public school kids take every year). We always choose to have them take the tests. I like having the scores documented by the state and see where they compare with other children of their age. Since this is our fifth year at homeschooling, the test is really second nature for the kids...for me it's a different story.

After packing them a couple of snacks, here's how our morning went as we were walking out the door. "O.k. kids, you got your pencils right?" "Yes, Mom." "Five of them, right?" "Yes." "How about your rulers?" "Got it." "Just one right?" "Of course." "Did you get your snack?" "Yes." "How about your calculator?" "Got it."

...pause on my part for a moment...

"Are you sure you got your pencils?" ...and it started all over again. Poor kids. They are so calm, cool and collected (not gotten from my side of the family) that they just think this day is just like any other school day. Me...I just about go crazy. It's really a good thing they don't give these tests to Moms. I'm not sure I'd make it through the first five minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment