About Me

My photo
Married twenty-five years to my wonderful husband and best friend. We have 3 "home-grown" kids and 1 hand-picked by God from Africa. Our life is blessed. We are a close knit family with strong Christian beliefs. Come along with us on our journey…you might have a great laugh or two.

Monday, March 15, 2010

A hankerin'...

Last night as I was cooking up some dinner I got to thinking about something and I got a hankerin'. You ever get a "hankerin'" for something. You know, you start to think about it and little by little you decide...oh, I gotta have it. Yep, that's me today. I got a hankerin'...for some fried apple pies. O.k., I know it's not the best for me or my family but sometimes you just gotta live a little and enjoy life.

My Mom use to make these wonderful fried apple pies (remember I'm from the south). The aroma would just fill the house and your mouth would start to water. Of course, by then you knew you were up against everyone else in the house to get to the pies first. Or else you were left out in the cold until the next batch was ready. She would only make so many and my brothers and my Dad could sure eat there share, so it was a fight to the finish. I remember my Mamaw making the same recipe sometimes, but my favorite memory is my Mom making them.

So today I'm going to share with you a family recipe that been with us for a very long time. And if I can help it, maybe the pies for my kids will keep that recipe going for years to come. Just for today don't worry about calories and enjoy life!

Pastry:

1 thirteen ounce can evaporated milk
1 egg, beaten
5 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup Crisco

For pastry, combine milk and egg; stir well. Set aside. Combine flour, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl; cut in Crisco with a pastry blender (or knife) until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle milk mixture over flour mixture; stir with a fork until dry ingredients are moistened. Shape dough into a ball, and wrap in waxed paper. Chill at least 1 hour or until ready to use.

Fruit Filling:

2 six ounce packages dried apple slices (peaches or apricots)
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
vegetable oil

Place dried fruit slices with water to cover in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes. Add sugar, and simmer an additional 30 minutes. Drain fruit well, and mash. Stir cinnamon into mixture.

Roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut into 4 inch circles or squares. Place 1 tablespoon fruit mixture in center of each pastry. Fold over and press edges firmly together using a fork dipped in flour. Heat 1 inch of oil to 375 degrees in a large skillet. Cook pies until golden brown on both sides, turning once. Drain well on paper towels. Makes 2 dozen.

From our kitchen to yours....enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. So glad I'm making a trip to town tomorrow! I'm going to be picking up some dried fruit. Thank you so much for your family recipe. It sounds WONDERFUL!

    ReplyDelete