About Me

My photo
Married twenty-five years to my wonderful husband and best friend. We have 3 "home-grown" kids and 1 hand-picked by God from Africa. Our life is blessed. We are a close knit family with strong Christian beliefs. Come along with us on our journey…you might have a great laugh or two.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Let's talk about something else….

How about tomatoes.

I am overrun with tomatoes at this moment.  Anybody else have this issue?  Looking back at the amount of plants that went into the ground, I might have gone a wee bit overboard.  And now, I'm paying the piper.

Just about everyday I am picking about two 5 gallon buckets full of tomatoes.  I'm canning as fast as I can, but I'm not keeping up as I should be.  If it weren't for the fact that my kids didn't get the memo that we are moving this weekend and next…which translates to the fact that I've got to still pick them up from practices, camps and oh, apparently they need to be fed….I might get a bit more done.

But….I…..am….not.  Ugh.

I picked a beautiful new tomato this year to grow called "Gold Medal".  It is a whopper of a tomato.  They are bigger than my hand.  We're talking huge.  They are beautiful yellow with streaks of red and taste a little sweeter than normal.  My husband isn't quite sure what he thinks about them.  They are harder to pick (because of being yellow) and he says he doesn't quite know when they are ripe.

We also grew an Italian heirloom tomato that it's taste is to die for.  It cans up real nicely and come this winter we will love all the sauces and soups it will make.  Some other tomatoes we grew were Martino's roma, cherry roma and I believe I threw in some Brandywine ones as well.

For now, being knee-deep in tomatoes is crazy.  I haven't had to water them once since we've had a wonderful supply of rain.  And they are prolific.  I'm just not sure how many more meals I can create with tomatoes.  My husband says it's time to start giving some away.  But all the contractors on the farm are on to me and run away when I come toting the 5 gallon buckets.

That's fine.  Come winter everybody will be singing a different tune.  They'll be wishin' they had that tomato.  That beautiful tasty big ol' honkin' tomato.



No comments:

Post a Comment