About Me

My photo
Married twenty-five years to my wonderful husband and best friend. We have 3 "home-grown" kids and 1 hand-picked by God from Africa. Our life is blessed. We are a close knit family with strong Christian beliefs. Come along with us on our journey…you might have a great laugh or two.

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Hiding the vegetables...

Alright...I'm not proud of it...but I admit it. Sometimes a mom's gotta do what a mom's gotta do. I hide the vegetables. It wasn't always like this..until just recently...when my smallest took an aversion to zucchini. Now...I find myself searching for a way that she will eat the funky little veggie without even knowing it. Today...I have found it. One of the best tasting breads with zucchini in it. You just have to try it. It's called Zucchini Pineapple Bread. I got the recipe from a cookbook called "Dining at the Whistle Stop". O.k....so here goes:

Zucchini-Pineapple Bread
3 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla or almond extract
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 cups grated unpeeled zucchini
8-ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
1 cup chopped walnuts
4-ounce package vanilla instant pudding mix

Combine the eggs, sugar, oil and extract; beat until foamy. Combine the next 6 ingredients in a separate bowl. Add to the egg mixture; beat well. Add the zucchini, pineapple, walnuts and pudding; stir well. Pour into a coated and floured bundt pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour. Check with a wooden pick for doneness. This bread freezes well.

So that's it. If you can believe it...I even have everyone in the house eating this bread for dinner and breakfast (hey...you take what you can get...right??). It really is that delicious...you don't even taste the zucchini. Just don't tell your kids the name. I happen to call it pineapple bread to the kids...not really a lie...just not the whole truth.

You know...I'm just trying to hide the vegetables...

No comments:

Post a Comment